CARO Analytical Services is a Western Canada based environmental and food testing laboratory that provides professional analytical testing services to public and private clients throughout Canada and the United States. In operation for over 29 years, CARO Analytical Services (CARO) is a British Columbia, Canada, employee owned and operated company with 75 staff distributed throughout three locations: Richmond, BC (head office), Kelowna, BC, and Edmonton, AB, with depot services in Whitehorse, YK.
We specialize in providing microbiological analysis, general chemical analysis, food residue analysis, and contaminated site testing of soil vapour, drinking water, wastewater, water, vegetation, tissue, soil and sediments. CARO is accredited to ISO17025 by the Canadian Association for Laboratory Accreditation and CARO is also approved by the BC Public Health Officer through the Enhanced Water Quality Assurance (EWQA) program. We are currently the largest BC owned, based and operated analytical laboratory company in Canada, and have the largest scope of CALA accredited analysis of any single laboratory location in Canada.
CARO has a diverse client base ranging from health authorities, public utilities, government ministries, consultants, industry, businesses and private individuals. Our highly trained staff of chemists, microbiologists, technologists and customer service professionals have the expertise and experience to handle not only routine tests, but also specialized analyses to suit client needs.
CARO’s leadership group comprises CARO employees, scientists and managers led by Brent Mussato, B.Sc., P.Chem. (President); along with Patrick Novak, B.Sc., P.Chem. (Vice President); Susannah Kennedy, B.Sc., P.Chem. (Director of Client Relations); and Brent Coates, B.Sc. (Director of Operations). CARO employs the greatest percentage of recognized Professional Chemists of any one lab in Western Canada and has a diverse workforce with over 60% women, long employee retention, supporting local school co-op programs and active environmental industry participation on boards and working groups. As one of a few employee-owned laboratories left in Canada, our team is extremely well connected to the success of our clients, especially British Columbia clients and we recognize that this has a direct link to both corporate and personal success.
CARO has developed a business model to deliver on our mission to “provide clients with complete peace of mind in analytical testing through the highest level of service and technical excellence”. We achieve this high level of service by embracing a culture of continual improvement, investing in state of the art technology, participating in numerous research and development projects, using industry leading technological advancements to make our client’s tasks more efficient and employing staff who are committed to delivering service beyond expectations. While providing good quality and service, which are expected essentials, we strive to make high level connections with our clients, so they can count on us to provide the unwavering support to their evolving needs and industry excellence to run successful projects.
Research & Development Emphasis
- Science Advisory Board for Contaminated Sites in British Columbia (SABCS) September 2014 Vancouver, BC & REMTECH October 2014 Banff, AB Presentation on “Analytical Advancements: Acid Herbicides Case Study” – Presentation Here
- REMTECH October 2013 Banff, AB Presentation on “Siloxanes: Quantifying a New Emmergent Pollutant in Water, Air and Soil” – Presentation Here
- REMTECH October 2012 Banff, AB Presentation on “New Ultra-Trace Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs) Analysis Methodology to Achieve Low Level Regulatory Requirements ” – Presentation Here
- WATERTECH April 2012 Banff, AB Presentation on “The Future of Laboratory and Field Filtration – Low Level Dissolved Metals Improvements” – Presentation Here
- Report to the Scientific Advisory Board For Contaminated Sites in BC: Assessment of Volatile Organic Compounds from Tubing Used for Soil Vapour Sample Collection.
- CARO & PerkinElmer Custom TD tube development to optimize sample collection performance. AIHce’2009 Conference June 2009 in Toronto – Presentation Here
CARO has a strong commitment to quality. Our quality management system is based on ISO 17025:2005, ‘General Requirements for the Competence of Calibration and Testing Laboratories’.
- In 2017, CARO Analytical Services won the Technical Innovation Environmental Award from Environment Managers association of British Columbia (EMA of BC) for work on Remediation of silt & clay by incorporation into concrete with S. Graham Engineering.
- First Ever Environmental Managers Association of British Columbia (EMA of BC) 2016 Member Choice Environmental Awards, CARO Analytical Service and S. Graham Engineering & Geology: Site Specific Investigation of a Salt Contaminated Site in Northeast British Columbia
- 2014 Environmental Managers Association of British Columbia (EMA of BC) Environmental Awards, Regulatory Challenge Catagory for work on Siloxanes – Read More Here
- 2013 Environmental Managers Association of British Columbia (EMA of BC) Environmental Awards, Technical Innovation Catagory for work on Thermal Desorption Technology – Read More Here