CARO Analytical Specializes in Drinking Water Testing. The first step towards protecting public health and the health of your family is understanding the quality of your drinking water. Potential contamination may occur naturally or as a result of human activity. The following information will assist you in making the appropriate water testing decision.
For a list of the general drinking water testing packages that CARO offers and what is included in each, click here.
NEW – Lead in Water Testing for Schools:
Everything you need to know about submitting your samples to CARO. Click here!
What Contaminants Commonly Exist in Drinking Water?
• Total coliforms and E. coli can be present as a result of nearby septic systems, sewage discharges, and domestic or wild animal fecal matter.
• Heavy Metals naturally occur in groundwater in many regions. Uranium and Arsenic are common metals of concerns in the BC interior. Lead and Copper can be a concerns in homes with brass fixtures, lead solder and copper pipes.
• Turbidity assesses suspended particulate in the water. These particles can contain bacteria and viruses. Health risks increases as turbidity rises.
• Agricultural Contamination from nearby farming activities may include nitrogen compounds (nitrite and nitrate) and pesticides or herbicides.
• Fluoride occurs naturally in groundwater at concentrations that can cause dental fluorosis: yellowing of teeth, pitting and alteration of tooth enamel. High fluoride levels are known in parts of the Okanagan and Shuswap regions of BC.
• Aesthetic concerns related to hardness, iron, manganese, sodium and sulfide can affect water suitability for washing; cause staining of plumbing fixtures; and cause odours. These concerns are common groundwater concerns throughout BC.
We also do testing for:
- PPCPs – Pharmaceutical & Personal Care Products – See list here
- Bisphenol A (BPA)
- Dissolved Metals
For other parameters that may be potential concerns, please contact CARO directly.
How Often Should I Test My Drinking water?
• Private Wells – The BCMOE recommends that private well owners have their water tested annually for total coliforms and E. coli.
• Water Systems – The BCMOE requires that water systems with <5000 connection must have 4 samples tested per month for total coliform and E coli.
• Additional Testing – It is recommended that comprehensive chemical analysis be conducted for all new drinking water wells and after that periodically. HealthLinkBC’s “Should I Get my Drinking Water Tested?” program provides a recommended general assessment of drinking water quality for most healthy persons.
Contact Us for Water Testing or visit the CARO Store to order a testing kit today!
Water Testing Packages:
|Package||Description||Included||Price||Learn More and Order|
|BASIC Bacteria||This indicates the influence of surface water, septic and animal fecal matter. This also meets the definition of potability for most mortgages.1||Total Coliforms, E.coli||$99.00||ORDER NOW|
|Essential Drinking Water Test Kit (Comprehensive) |
|Parameters frequently required for drinking water approval. This meets requirements of Environmental Health Officers in North, Central and & South Okanagan and in the East Kootenay regions.1||Total Coliforms, E. Coli, Alkalinity, Aluminum, Antimony, Arsenic, Barium, Boron, Cadmium, Calcium, Chloride, Chromium, Copper, Conductivity, Cyanide, Fluoride, Hardness (total), Iron, Lead, Magnesium, Manganese, Mercury, Nitrate, Nitrite, pH, Potassium, Selenium, Sodium, Sulfate, Total Dissolved Solids, Turbidity, Uranium, Zinc||$324.00||ORDER NOW|
|Optional Add-Ons to General Potability Package:|
|1. Aesthetic Concerns||Aesthetic effects (e.g. taste, odour) are taken into account when these play a role in determining whether consumers will consider the water drinkable.||Colour, Transmissivity, Ammonia, Sulfide, Total Organic Carbon||$125.00||ORDER NOW|
|2. Disinfection By-Products||Typical parameters of concern on chlorinated water.||Chlorate, Chlorite, Chlorine (Total and Free), THM, HAA||$350.00||ORDER NOW|
|COMPLETE Potability Drinking Water Test Kit||Everything in the Comprehensive drinking water list plus everything else in the CDWQG. If you want complete peace of mind by testing for all parameters that health Canada has identified as potential concerns in water, this package is for you.||Includes everything listed in above packages and basically everything in the Canadian Drinking Water Quality Guidelines.||$1999.00||ORDER NOW|